Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January 20th

Yes, peeps, once again I changed the design of my blog. Got to keep you on your toes! I like the feel of this design, but I'm not 100% sold on it just yet. Close, but not quite. Anyhoo.... I spoke with my doctor this morning (and had a lovely pap done, thank you very much) and was asking her what she thought of my current diet. She said she didn't feel there was a lot of science behind it, but if it was making me feel better then that was a good thing. I reassured her that this wasn't a permanent diet change for me. She counseled me on the rations of fat/carbs/proteins in a full and healthy diet.

I asked, and she agreed, to send me for a full blood work up. So I'll head out tomorrow morning (have to fast first. Fun times!) They're testing the usual suspects, including thyroid, cholesterol, calcium, iron and a variety of other vitamins. I think I get to pee in a cup, too!

Morning weight, unclothed: 156 lbs (+1)

Jay, my clever husband, asked if we were having kidneys for breakfast.

Breakfast, 7:3o am
2 pink pancakes
Tea with almond milk


Pink Pancakes
Modified from original buckwheat pancake recipe here.)

1 ripe banana, mashed
1.5 cups buckwheat flour
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup cooked & pureed beets
1 tsp pure maple syrup
dash of salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
almond milk as needed (at least 1/2 cup)

Blend all ingredients together in a bowl, adding liquid to desired consistency. Cook in a frying pan. Yum yum!


Snack, 11am
Starbucks green tea
Miso soup

Lunch, 1pm
Spicy tuna roll (unknown sugar in spicy sauce)
Veggie roll (avocado & cucumber)
2 side salads (lettuce, tomato, celery, corn and ginger dressing - unknown sugar in dressing.)

Snack, 2pm
Starbucks chai tea with soy milk

Snack, 4:30
1 pink pancake
Handful of chickpeas

Supper, 6pm
Creamy Creole Eggplant Bake


Creamy Creole Eggplant Bake
Liberally modified from Diet Dessert & Dogs' recipe ~ Thanks!!

1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped

2 Tbsp Braggs soy sauce

2 Tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil

2 tsp 3 Onion Dip spice

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and then cut into chunks

Several shakes each: (dried) parsley, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion and garlic powder, basil, oregano (then added more to taste)

1 cup (120 ml) cooked chickpeas (about 1/2 cup dry)

300g soft tofu

1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened almond milk

2.5 cups uncooked basamati rice

I prepared the rice in the rice cooker while I prepared the rest of the sauce.

In a large frying pan or wok, heat the oil over medium heat and add the eggplant, garlic and Braggs. Once the eggplant softens and absorbs the Braggs, add zucchini and continue to cook until the zucchini starts to soften. Add spices, mix well, then add the chickpeas.

In a high speed blender, combine the tofu and almond milk. Blend smooth then pour into the fry pan and stir to coat.

For a quick meal: Ladle warm sauce over the rice and serve, topping with fresh parsley if you want.

For a Casserole: Preheat oven to 35o F. Add rice to sauce and stir to coat everything. Pour into a casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until the top begins to brown. Serve and enjoy!

I think next time I'll try with pasta - the rice got a bit soft, not quite mushy, but too close for my liking.

No comments: