Monday, August 2, 2010

Coffee and candy and cake, oh my!

Steamy!

Not a great food day. Started with carbs and coffee, then we headed over to one of them "all you can eat" breakfast buffets at a local hotel restaurant. The breakfast standards of eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausage... plus some extras like waffles, fruit, dry cereal, yogurt, vegetarian quiche, caramelized onion and mushroom egg bake, and looooots of pastries. Of course I had to sample everything. Sometimes twice. Plus more coffee.

This afternoon I introduced the boys to candy - something Elliot's only ever had once or twice and I don't think Felix has ever really had. And it was a big hit. Smarties. Swedish Berries. BBQ coated peanuts, Chili & lime almonds. Bridge Mixture. And more coffee (for me - not them. At least I switched to decaf)

Supper was a true Brilliant Parenting Move: the tried and tested Mac & Cheese with hotdogs. Again, something the boys rarely get. And they wolfed it down, of course. I have to eat broken up plain rippled potato chips on my hotdogs, along with ketchup. It's my thing. And I have a hard time eating one plain now, since I've done this for as long as I can remember. I don't know when or why I started. But it's delish!

Which brings us to dessert. Ahhhhhh, sweet dessert. Blueberries were on sale at the grocery store this morning, and we still had about a cup's worth of raspberries growing out back, so I made a berry buckle, or cobbler. I've made it before, with just blueberries, and this time the raspberries gave it a wonderful tartness. Hot out of the oven and topped with vanilla-chocolate-crinkle ice cream and wow. Bliss!



My tummy is so happy, even hours later. But yep, it's pretty round today. And my digestive system is not pleased with me.

Wheat, dairy and sugar free berry cake with ice cream. Mmmmmm!

1 comment:

amanda c. said...

Thank you for admitting to the macaroni & cheese w/hotdogs for supper. I had this for supper as well! I did make a homemade soup for lunch so I had to easy out on supper!