Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday Supper

Yet another Canadian Family recipe... it was fast, it was delicious. I'll make it again - with some modifications.... While using packaged items saved a lot of time, it took away from the flavour. I'll try browning my own ground beef next time and shredding my own cheese! The boys complained that it was too spicy. I *think* that came from the salsa, so I'll try less spice next time, but it could have been the spice in the ground soy or even in the cheese.


Tex-Mex Veggie Bake

1 (340g) package seasoned ground soy
2 cups salsa (I made my own using canned tomatoes and Epicure's salsa spice)
1 (341 ml) can corn kernels
1 cup drained black beans (I used a whole can - 540 ml)
3 - 10 inch flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded Tex-Mex cheese (I used a 340 g bag)

Preheat oven to 425 F
In a bowl, mix ground soy, salsa, corn and black beans
Coat a deep oven-safe pie plate or casserole dish (I used a fry pan) with oil. Put one tortilla on the bottom, add half the salsa mixture and top with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat. Top the final tortilla with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly. 


***I found 10 minutes in the oven wasn't long enough. The layered cheese wasn't melted and the insides were still cold! The boys didn't care and I popped mine into the microwave for 30 seconds - perfection! I'd suggest making the whole thing in the microwave, except that the oven crisps the tortillas quite nicely!

No comments: