Monday, January 25, 2010

January 25th


Wheee! First day back in the office today. I missed it there. I'm a seasonal employee, so it's only for 3 months... gotta make the most of this "me" time. And, I also have to make every bite count... I tend to not eat when I'm working, which is great most of the time, except that I'm a ravenous beast who will devour anything as soon as I get home. So I need to go prepared with all sorts of nutritious snacks - snacks that don't need to be heated, as I usually eat at my desk. On days that are crazy busy, I don't even take a lunch break. I plan to make lots of muffins - easy and portable. I would love to find a granola bar I could eat, but they're all made with honey/maple syrup... something sugary and sticky to hold it all together. Haven't yet found something to fit the bill without the sugar.

Breakfast, 7:30
Steel cut oatmeal with apples & almond milk
Lg tea with almond milk

Lunch, 1pm
Hard boiled egg
Spicy Chickpea salad

Snack, 2pm
Lg green tea

Snack, 5pm
(Ravenous Beast alert)
1/4 oatmeal cookie
2 pc partly-skim mozza
Handful canned pineapple chunks
1 mini-box raisins (approx 24g sugar. Oops.)
More spicy chickpea salad

Supper, 6pm
1/2 homemade pizza
3/4 homemade garlic fingers


I made garlic fingers by melting butter and then mixing in minced garlic and some dried parsley. Elliot had fun 'painting' it on the crust. Topped with grated goat's mozza. Tonight's pizza was topped with crushed tomatoes, pizza spice, 5 pc small ham rounds, sliced mushrooms, goat's mozza and a few chunks of pineapple. They both turned out yummy, but the crust on both was a bit soft. I baked them for 20 minutes, but should have gone 5-10 more minutes. Felix was shrieking though, since supper was late and he was melting down... so I took everything out of the oven early. (The boys' regular pizza was done in 20 minutes...)

Gluten-free crust

1 cup spelt flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp oil
pinch of salt
1 cup of water

Mix first 5 ingredients together. Slowly add water until a stiff dough is formed. Press into 2 greased pie plates. (Can be made in one plate, depending on sizing.) Add toppings of your choice and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Enjoy!





1 comment:

Melanie said...

Hey Aimee, you're wondering about granola bars... I noticed you used brown rice flour for supper. Can you eat Brown rice syrup? I know it's gluten free but I have no idea about the sugar situation.