Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Detox diet

Ok. So it starts tomorrow. I've done this soup diet before, years ago. It's a good jump start to detoxing and cleansing the body. I have no references to post, but when I first did it, it was said to have been a diet used to prep heart patients for surgery in the hospital. The paper I had even said so. No idea if that's true or not, and the version I managed to get my hands on recently is a bit different.

It also used to say why you were eating certain foods on certain days, I remember something about "...by day 4, you need to replenish the potassium levels and so that's why you eat bananas and skim milk". No idea who tweaked it, or when, or why. But the basics are the same: it's a veggie soup diet. Soup is eaten every day for 7 days. Each day, you're also allowed certain other foods - veggies or fruits or chicken. One day, it's 8 bananas and skim milk! Back when I first did it, one day included a baked potato with butter, to be eaten at supper time. That thing tasted so frickin' awesome!!!!

Anyway, the soup is cooking right now. I stocked up on fresh veggies and fruits this afternoon. And it's on in the morning. The only no-no food I'm allowing myself is coffee. It's for 7 days. I can handle that. Right. Right? And then afterwards, I'll roll right into the meal plan the trainer at the gym gave me all those years ago. And start going back to the gym. Yep. Promise.

Day One: Vegetable Soup, Unlimited Fruit (No Bananas), Herbal tea, 8 Glasses of Water.

Day Two: Vegetable Soup, Unlimited Raw Vegetables, Stir Fry Vegetables for Supper. Water/Herbal tea.

Day Three: Vegetable Soup, Unlimited Vegetables and Fruit (No Bananas) Water/ Herbal Tea

Day Four: Vegetable Soup, 2 Cups skim Milk, 20oz of Chicken, Beef or Fish, 8 Bananas, Water/Herbal Tea.

Day Five: One Boiled Egg (AM) Vegetable Soup, 6 Raw Tomatoes, 20 oz Chicken, Beef or Fish, Water/Herbal Tea.

Day Six: One Boiled Egg and Fruit (AM) Unlimited Raw Vegetables, 20ox Chicken, Fish or Beef, One Cup Brown Rice. Water/Herbal Tea.

Day Seven: One Boiled Egg (AM) Unlimited Raw Vegetables and Fruit, 2 Cups Brown Rice, 20oz Chicken, Fish or Beef. Water/Herbal Tea.



Vegetable Soup Recipe:

1 tsp Virgin Olive oil
½ tsp Sea Salt
½ tsp Pepper
1 tsp Basil
3 Bay Leaves
2 tbsp Oregano
2 Cloves Garlic
3 Stalks Celery, Diced
3 Cups fresh Beans (Green or Yellow)
3 carrots, Sliced
2 Onions, Diced
2 Bell Peppers, Diced
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
4 large Tomatoes, Diced

Put Olive Oil and all Veggies, except Tomatoes, in a Large pot. Add Spices and 12 cups of water. Simmer until Veggies are desired consistency, then add tomatoes.

Let cool. Portions for one week.

Yes, it is essentially the Cabbage Soup Diet, that fad from a while ago. And it is a fad and it's not long term. But, I think it might be just the kick in the pants I need to get started back on normal eating again. Maybe.

This site
is a good resource on the soup/detox diet...

No comments: